Monday, March 1, 2010

1st of March

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

O the wit! O the bite! And... he is right, as he often was. There are clear solutions to many of the problems that may get thrown in our way, but for most of the really tricky ones, a system of small fixes is required. Or a really big Super String Theory type solution. Either way, it requires some focus and some tenacity.

What I am continually amazed by is how we, as a species, can come up with answers that are pretty wide of the mark. Regularly. I know that I can be so sure of myself, on occasion, and so wrong. Comical, really. But the more I focus on balance, and the more I use my sounding boards, the less I seem to be in the position of way wide of the mark. Taking some time to make decisions, at least any kind of decision that is important, is helpful, too. 

On the other side of the spectrum, there are solves that are simple (and right for the given situation), but hard. We generally know what we have to do, it is just a question of whether or not we want to do it, whether or not to do the work. Don't know why this is, but it seems to be largely true. 

Wading in and doing what needs to be done, after some reflection, thought, checking-in, is a powerful modus operandi. Practicing this will make it a skill you have easy access to. Clearly, a thing to aim for.

the Keeper (word to think about/keep with me for a bit)
Perspicacity” - n. 1.) the quality of seeing clearly into things. Insight, or a clear understanding of things. 

I hope to have the perspicacity to see things as they really are, and then have the strength and tenacity to do what needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment