Sunday, February 14, 2010

14th of February

“We must talk to each other as much as we can. When one of us dies, there will be some things that the other will never be able to talk of with anyone else.”   
- Henri Matisse (to Pablo Picasso)

What a stunning couple of sentences...! Of course, the lion's share of what both of these men did was stunning, but really... what a perfect expression of love and respect. What I love most about this is the energy around it... to feel as if you have more to say, than you have time to say it... and this on the scale of years. I don't get a frenetic, running-out-of-time thing here as much as I get a mutual excitement, and a bubbling over of wanting to share with - and learn from - one another. This, and the simple, yet profound comprehension that what they had between them was unique... that it was sacred. 

On this "Day of American Affection", I am going to try to get in under the red and the heart-shaped (before some of you get your knickers in a twist, those things are fun and excellent, they're just... you know... sapped of some of their oomph, given their everywhere-ed-ness), and take some real pleasure in the energy between me and those I love. 

the Keeper (word to think about/keep with me for a bit)
"Rapport" - n. A close and harmonious relationship in which the people or groups concerned understand each other's feelings and/or ideas and communicate well.

I hope to recognize that which is unique and sacred in my relationships with my friends and family. I'll look to celebrate those things in some small, private, poignant way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment