Wednesday, February 17, 2010

17th of February

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.  
 - Ernest Hemingway (from The Sun Also Rises)

Without question, one of my favorite quotes. As someone who had seen a fair bit of adversity at a relatively young age, it was good to read this to remind me that everyone has their hardships, and that, though some will not be mended, many are. On the whole, humans are resilient. At no point in the mix, does the world have a special axe to grind with me - it does what it does to every single soul. Might as well try to have a sense of humor about it. 

I certainly feel stronger at the broken places (at least on most days)... It has led me to volunteering, put me in a position to be of help, and it is probably responsible for the bulk of my ability to be compassionate. It is probably also responsible in large part for my sense of humor. In there with some deep understanding, and intense feeling, is a choice to not take myself too seriously, to be flexible, and to have some laughs. 

Obviously there are those who focus on the 'life breaking us all' piece and are, as a result, all gloom and doom. There will be rough patches, yes. But there is a lot of other stuff, too. I maintain that if it weren't for the darker things, I would have less appreciation for the lighter ones. 

There is also a certain confidence that comes from having been through some rough patches, and gotten through them. They happen, and they end. One way or another. 

the Keeper (word to think about/keep with me for a bit): 
Resilient” - adj. 1.) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed. See 'flexible'. 2.) recovering readily from illness, depression, adversity, or the like; buoyant.

I hope to be flexible, strong, and to have some perspective on things. May I remember to laugh...a little laughter can go a long way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment