Friday, February 19, 2010

19th of February

  “The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life.”
- Anne Morriss (“The Way I See It”)

You very likely have seen this quote recently. It is actually from a Starbucks cup - #76 in the “The Way I See It” series... Which a part of my brain is dead-set against quoting... it's on a coffee cup, for crying out loud! And not only that, but it's decidedly not a cup from one of the uber-excellent independent coffee house in out fair city of Portland... but from the monolithic coffee empire of Starbucks. But, if I close my mind to the things around me, whatever they may be, then I am pretty hosed. Plus, I love coffee and am committed to it, no matter the outlet for said liquid black nourishment.... not particularly monogamous when it comes to the bean... And Anne Morriss seems to be a insightful person who is committed to making good things happen... from what I can tell she is a facilitator an advocate for the planet and it's many peoples.

And, on this day, some years ago, I got married. So there is not a lot else on my mind today other than love and commitment. 

This quote reminds me that commitment is a type of surrender and is one of those paradoxes where by giving in to something, you actually gain a kind of power, a freedom. I am thinking about relationships today, but this is true of a commitment to yourself, a project, or even an ideal or cause. When you throw your whole self into something, there is much to be gained. Obviously, commitments can be hard work - that's why they're called commitments. But from what I have experienced, and what I have observed, the things that bear fruit, require work. Consistent work. And the yield is directly proportional to how much I am willing to put myself into the commitment. 

You combine commitment with the selflessness and levity of love (love in relationships, yes, but also in the broader sense), and you have a powerful combination indeed. 

the Keeper (word to think about/keep with me for a bit)
Commitment” - n. 1.) the act of committing or the state of being committed. 2.) Dedication; application. 3.) A pledge or undertaking. 4.) An act of pledging or setting aside something. 

I hope to revel in the commitments I have made, to stay dedicated, and treat them with the respect that any serious endeavor warrants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment